Sausage & Shiitake Grilled Pizza
Makes one 14-inch pizza
- 6 plum tomatoes, skewered and charred on the grill, about five minutes per side
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lb. refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, cut into small pieces, or shredded
- Chopped fresh basil or baby arugula mixed with a dash of olive oil, salt, and fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine grilled tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, mixing and crushing tomatoes into a sauce. Set aside.
- Grill onion and mushrooms directly on the grill or using a Lodge Reversible Pro Grid Iron Griddle. As you finish grilling them, move to a Lodge 9-ounce cast iron oval mini server on the top rack of the grill to keep warm. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a Lodge 8-inch cast iron skillet on the side of the grill or attached burner.
- Flour a work surface and pizza dough; roll it out 1/2-inch thick, trimming off any excess. (Masey recommends brushing any dough trimmings with oil and garlic powder and popping them in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes on 350° for a delightful snack/appetizer.) Brush one side of dough with some of the oil and place on a Lodge 14-inch cast iron baking pan, oil side down, and grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from the grill, brush top side of the dough with oil, and flip it over. Top the grilled side of the dough with the tomato sauce, then scatter your choice of the grilled toppings and sausage over the top. Finally, cover with mozzarella. Place pan back on the grill, close the lid, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. If the mozzarella hasn’t melted, remove the pizza from the grill and stick under the broiler for another few minutes to melt.
- Top with basil or dressed arugula and serve.